English 609: Poetry Writing
October 5, 2017
What's due today:
Lux, New & Selected, Sections "The Drowned River" and "Split Horizon"
What's due next class:
- Iambic Pentameter (at least 20 lines)
- Hugo, Triggering Town 37-74
Reading for next week: Ekphrasis (Ideational level: Other arts)
- Poets.org: Poets confronting art*
- Keats, "Ode on a grecian urn"; Yeats, "Sailing to Byzantium" (see Metropolitan Museum exhibit on Byzantine art); Crane, "Chaplineque"; Hughes "Dream Boogie" ; Auden "Musee des Beaux Arts" (also inspired by other work in the same wing); Roethke, "My Papa's Waltz" ; O'Hara, "The Day Lady Died"
- Stevens, "The
Paltry Nude" (inspired by Botticelli's Birth
of Venus) & "Thirteen
ways" (inspired by Cubism);
- The Poets speak of art (online project at Emory University) (link updated) (* Read introduction plus three poems)