English 609: Poetry Writing
September 14, 2017
What's due today:
Discussion of mythic poems you read for today.
Discussion of two sections assigned in Lux's New & Selected Poems.
Workshopping (use this prompt):
Revision: Yeats at Work.
What's due next class:
Reading for Next week:
- Addonzio, chapter 34-35
- Poet's companion 104-128 (Blackboard)
- Some things to try when you revise
- Hugo, Triggering Town 1-37
Poetry Readings for next week: syllabics and stress prosody examples
- Beowulf, Original (just look at it) and an excerpt from Heaney's verse transation
- Pound, "Seafarer," Wilbur, "Junk*""The Writer*" Moore, "The Fish"; Thomas, "Fern Hill"; Hardy's The Temporary the All*
Poetry readings for next week (Voice, Directives, and other kinds of persona poems)
- Online: Homer, Odyssey Excerpt; Frost, Directive*; Ash, Road to Ogalma; Wilbur, Advice to a Prophet; Merwin, For A Comng Extinction*; Denis Johnson, The White Fires of Venus*; Hardy, Channel Firing; Donne, Holy Sonnet; Lindsay, Tell the Bees*; Girmay, Consider the Hands; de la Torre, How to Look at Mexican Highways*
- Essay: Frost's Prime Directive
Writing Homework: Try a "myth" poem or poem from the point of view of a fictional or historical character.